Tuesday 8 June 2010

High Wyre to deep gorge..

Rain. It happens. I've told myself to get over it...

To be honest, after a dismal start today was short, undulating, green and pleasurable.

Mildest of boos to incident at 8.10am, two moist miles out of Worcester. My chain seized up, obliging me to return to the city centre and the bike shop that I had visited yesterday.

Big hurrahs for manager Dan, who spotted the bedraggled cyclist approaching well before the shop's 9.30 opening time - and welcomed me in. Dan diagnosed a problem with my cage (shamefully unaware after years of cycling that I had one) and fixed it within minutes. Elation.

Near ecstasy on emerging to discover that the rain had ceased.

Leaving town the second time I paused to remove waterproofs and chatted to a walker - roughly my age. He insisted on giving me a donation for Falcon Camps. Brian, thank you very much.

Ups and downs through the dank greenery of the Wyre Forest.

Pauses in tow quiet and charming towns: Bewdeley and Bridgenorth.

And a whoosh down to the Ironbridge Gorge, arriving at the shockingly early hour of 3.30pm.

I encountered cyclists Rob and Tracy (above), fellow end-to-enders. They're from Kent, left Land's End after me - and will reach JoG long before me. And I like the hat.

1 comment:

  1. Hurrah for all the very nice people you are meeting on your journey. I am sure they make all the difference to a very wet day. We are right behind you here at the office and remember you at noon each day. Take care. CS.

    ReplyDelete