Saturday 12 June 2010

Tempted...

Into Yorkshire for my first 'major' hill climb up Dent Dale and to Garsdale Head (1750 feet).

Huffing up beautiful Dent Dale (think 'Postman Pat'), I pause to take a snap, unintentionally causing two-car mini-jam. The driver of the car behind me overtakes, stops and lowers window to address me.

I'm braced for my first traffic-related, er, rollicking.

Instead I see the cheery face of my former vicar Bill Merrington (top), now resident in Bournemouth, who just happens to be passing this way.

Coffee stop at Dent.

Then the climb begins. The first section resembles the side of house and I'm obliged to push - hard.

The pushing continues until I reach Dent Station, on the famous Settle to Carlisle line.

Hmm, I could take a ride all the way to Appleby, my destination for tonight.

As I'm wrestling with my conscience, two walkers (plus dog) come alongside, engage me in conversation and so we continue up the slope, higher and higher, and, for my part, the effort diminishes as we chat.

Thanks, Steve and Stef Ottervanger (and Bruce) - you boosted my spirits far more than you may realise.

Then, the summit - and the reward for not wussing out down below. Vast vistas, clear air, cloud shadows, birds calling...

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment